Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Make a Cozy Reading Nook


I must admit, reading to my kids is usually reserved for bedtime.  Not because I don't value its importance, not because I don't feel like it, but simply put, I just don't have the time.  GASP!!  For shame.  If your kids bring you a book, unless you are in the middle of performing neurosurgery, DROP EVERYTHING and read to them.  I promise to do the same.

BUT, and there is always a but, here is something you can do to cut down on the requests and increase their independence and control over what they are reading.  Set up a cozy reading nook complete with pillows or a chair and a basket filled with books.  We included a little lantern for effect and voila, perfection.

Of course after I set it up, there were squabbles over whom it belonged to and how long someone is allowed to be in there.  But it seems to have died down and there is a "Respect The Tent" feeling in the air.  My daughter uses it to study for Kindergarten testing (yes, I am serious), my son uses it as a hideout to scare people.  My eight year old likes to park himself in there just to irritate the little ones and my 17 year old really hasn't ventured in there yet ;-).

It was a snap to make and cost about $25.00 for the wood and hardware.  I had the material, chair, basket and books already.  Check out the fantastic directions here at The Lawrence Girls.

Post your reading nook pictures to our Make Childhood Magical facebook page!

Check out our Early Childhood Reading List!

Go Ahead, Make Childhood Magical

2 comments: